Three easy ways to find the best size rug for your horse: Remember, most manufacturer's make rugs in 3 inch increments - see rug size chart here. We have over 100 paterns in all shapes and sizes and as no two animals are the same, we will use your measurements in conjunction with our paterns to get the perfect fit for your horse or pony. To take your measurements use a dressmakers tape and measurein feet & inches. If you dont have one just let us know and we can pop one in the post to you.
1: Using a dressmakers tape, this is the most acurate way to get the correct rug size.
1. Measure A to B in a straight line from the center of the horses chest (where the top chest buckle would sit) around the shoulder, along the side of the belly to the furthest rear point of the rump where you expect the rug to finish. Do not measure around to the tail - this will add a good 3-4 inches and you will end up with a rug that is too big.
2. Measure C to D to get the depth (never below the knee).
3. Measure E to A to get the neck line
Download a measuring chart here, fill in your details & horse or pony's measurements then email it to us.
We will use these measurements in conjunction with our own patterns to make your rug
2: Measure an existing rug
If you have one, measure an existing rug that fits. We suggest you measure both your horse and the rug. Having the two measurements to compare helps confirm your sizing. Avoid measuring a turnout rug - they tend to be a bit longer to cater for the chest overlap, use a stable rug or cotton sheet (not a fleece as they stretch) Don't rely on the sizing label on your existing rug - you may find your old rug has stretched or shrunk. Lay the rug on flat level ground and measure as above. Download our measuring chart and fill in your measurements then email it to us. We will use these measurements in conjunction with our own patterns to make your rug
3: Make a pattern
If your happy with the fit of an existing rug you can easily make a pattern using either brown paper or newspaper taped together and with a marker pen draw tight around the rug. Make sure the rug is on flat, level ground with gussets closed. This is also a good way to measure for any alterations that are needed. If your rug is a little tight round the front you can add on the required inches by comparing your measurements of the horse or pony. Post your pattern to us and in conjucntion with our own patterns we will make the rug of your choice
Measuring for a Neck Cover
1. Measure around the throat B - B
2. Measure the neck length B - C (the finished neck cover will be longer)
3. Measure C - E
Measuring for a Full Hood
1. Measure around the nose A - A
2. Measure from the nose up to between the ears A - B
3. Measure the neck length B - C
4. Measure the depth C - D
5. Measure around the neck C - E
6. Measure the distance from B to the top of where the eye hole should be
7. Measure the width & depth of the eye hole
8. If you require ears on, please measure from the base of the ear to the tip
Download a measuring chart here